Friday, April 25, 2008

No Ordinary Child

S'been awhile. Namaste.

I've just put my kids to bed, and Celeste is at a meeting with coworkers. I was looking at Hebrews 11, and was interested by verse 23:
By faith Moses' parents hid him for 3 months after he was born, because they saw
he was no ordinary child, and they were not afraid of the king's edict. (Heb 11:23, NIV)

I got hung up in the middle there. They saw he was no ordinary child? What, did he glow in the dark? Did he never cry, as I've heard some parts of Christendom believe about Christ as a baby? Did Moses as a baby lift up his parents' 1940's pickup truck with his bare hands so they could change the tire? (Sorry, random Superman reference.)

How could they see that a newborn was 'no ordinary child'? I mean, every parent I know believes his/her child(ren) is (are) special, gifted, whatever. Myself included.

But perhaps that's what this means? Moses' parents saw something special in him -- as all parents do in their children -- and that perception, combined with their own courage, led them to action? I don't know. Maybe.

Father, in the name of Jesus, I pray that we would see the great things you have in store for our children, and for all of yours. And may we act, courageously and wisely, to see their potential fulfilled. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Brian -

Read this post over the weekend, but am just now commenting. I'm glad to see you back here in blogworld! I check here all the time.

This is a really interesting post. I'll have to think a lot about it. I always thought my kids were special, of course, and am happy to say that now that they are well into their adult years they have all turned out really well.

They all graduated from college (my older son from the U. S. Naval Academy) and now have families of their own. They are all three (2 sons and a daughter in the middle) very spiritually minded and faithful Christians. That's about the best you can ask for!

Cheers & Blessings to you and your family today!

Dee