Monday, April 17, 2006

Decisions Decisions

I heard someone say recently that the decision to give your life to Christ is the most important decision you'll ever make. And I would agree with that.

However (you saw this coming, didn't you?), its not the hardest decision you'll ever make. The hardest decision is not to GIVE your life to Christ, but to LIVE your life for Christ.

After all, giving your life to Christ is usually the climax of a process of some kind, where the Spirit is working on your heart, and you are listening, engaged and focused on what God is doing in your life. And for some time following that decision, you can thrive on the energy of that decision, the power and joy that God gives. A sort of Christian 'honeymoon period'.

But sooner or later, the decision begins to seem like a long time ago, and the daily grind (aka 'this present darkness') can begin to push, pull, and draw you. It can draw you back toward the life from which you were saved, or it can push you off the path God has called you to, onto a side path that somehow seems easier, smoother, better.

Or perhaps more likely, you begin to look at your day and think 'sure, I could study/pray/do something else Christ-like, but there will be time for that tomorrow/this weekend/during spring break/this summer/later; I've really got to catch up on my sleep/reading/favorite show I've been recording/email/favorite book series I'm behind on/blogging. I've got eternity to spend with God anyway, right?'

Truly, the hardest decision we make for Christ is the one that comes along when we'd rather be doing something else.

So...whatcha doin today?

B

1 comment:

~Justin said...

I read that "commitment" is doing what you said you were going to do long after the feeling you had when you said it has faded. I like that. It's hard.