Friday, December 24, 2004

Going Home

It's plenty cold, yet the sun is out and I can hear kids playing in the neighborhood. Piper is down for a nap, and I think Celeste actually is too, so not a creature is stirring in my house except me. The tree is lit up, the stockings are hung, the gifts are wrapped, and I am so very blessed. God is so good!

This evening there is a worship gathering at church, and I'm really looking forward to that. Worship is always good, but there's something about the Christmas season that seems to sort of wrap worship like a warm blanket. After that we'll come home and open a few gifts, then put Piper to bed and probably watch Bing in White Christmas.

On Christmas day we'll leave mid-morning for Tulsa, OK, to see a lot of my family there. We'll have a get-together Sunday afternoon/evening with my Dad, Jara, 5 of my siblings, along with associated spouses and children. On Monday we'll get with my mom, who will meet us at my sister's house there. I think the only one missing will be my older brother, who lives in Maryland -- and he'll definitely be missed.

I grew up in Tulsa, but haven't had Christmas there in 10 years, and I'm finding that going back is a little nostalgic. Things have changed a lot there, and yet much is still the same. One thing is sure: I will eat Mazzio's pizza while I'm there, or there will be trouble.

On Wednesday we'll pack up the van and drive on up to Salina, KS, Celeste's home town, to see her family. They have always had Christmas for their immediate family on New Year's Day, which is a huge blessing in answering the age-old question 'who will we visit for Christmas?' We'll return from Kansas on the 1st, and be back in time to be home at SBC again on Sunday morning.

All in all, the trip will probably be a bit hectic, and our biggest hope is that we can get Piper to sleep well while we're in so many 'strange' places. But even with all of that, in the end we're simply making a big loop, constantly going home. Home to Tulsa, home to Salina, then back home to Texas.

Is anyone else ready to go Home? Maranatha!
B

1 comment:

Brian said...

Wo - Koolees at Quicktrip! I had forgotten about those! I actually stopped at a QT in Kansas once and found that they don't have them there either!

However, if you need a koolee 'fix', the local 'On the Run' stations typically have icees or koolees or something along that line. :-)
B